Welcome to the Louis Tewanima Footrace Homepage!
The Louis Tewanima Association is a non-profit grass roots organization who, since 1974, has sponsored the annual Louis Tewanima Memorial Footrace held each year on the Hopi reservation. This race is held in honor of , the first and only Hopi Olympian to represent the United States in the 1908 and 1912 Olympic Games. He won a Silver medal and set an American record for the 10,000-meter race in the 1912 Games that stood until broken by Billy Mills in 1964. We continue to commemorate his desire to promote the physical, health and well-being of Native American youth.
There will be a FREE Pre-Race “Carb” Dinner for all participants, family & volunteers from 5p.m.-8p.m. MST on Saturday, September 5, 2015 at the Shungopavi Community Center in the Village of Shungopavi, located east of the Hopi Cultural Center on Hwy 264.
2015 RACE INFORMATION
Sunday, September 6,2015
(Labor Day Weekend)
10K begins 6:00 a.m. MST
5K begins 6:30 a.m. MST
1 Mile Fun Run begins 7:00 a.m. MST
Start times are subject to change.
Hopi Village of Shungopavi
Second Mesa, AZ
10K & 5K - Male & Female
14 & under ◊ 15-19 ◊ 20-29 ◊ 30-3940-49 ◊ 50-59 ◊ 60-69 ◊ 70 & over
2MI & 1MI - No Categories
REGISTRATION & ENTRY FEES
2015 REGISTRATION WILL OPEN SOON!
- 5K & 10K Footraces Only
- ◊ Register by July 31, 2015 receive a "tech tee" shirt.
- ◊ All other participants will receive a cotton t-shirt.
- ◊ All participants will receive a "Runner's Bag".
- Top 3 Overall - Male & Female
- ◊ Traditional Hopi prizes and medals will be awarded in both Male & Female categories.
- Top 3 by Age - Male & Female
- ◊ Medals will be awarded in both gender categories.
- 1MI Fun Run/Walk
- ◊ Participants will receive a t-shirt.
Don't Run? Become a Volunteer...
The Louis Tewanima Footrace Committee is always seeking volunteers for this race.
If you would like to help,
contact us by email at
Check out our Facebook Page!
Race T-shirts for Sale.
- T-shirts from past races are on sale:
- 41st Annual (2014).......$20.00
- 40th Annual (2013).......$10.00
- Before 2013....................$ 5.00
Contact any Committee member for more information.
For more information, contact: